Players can modify dice by spending various tokens and by resolving abilities.
Dice can be modified in the following ways:
- Add: To add a die result, place an unused die displaying the result next
to the rolled dice. A die added in this way is treated as a normal die for all
purposes and can be modified and canceled.
- Change: To change a die result, rotate the die so that its faceup side
displays the new result.
- Reroll: To reroll a die result, pick up the die and roll it again.
- Spend: To spend a result, remove the die from the dice pool.
- Dice modification occurs during the respective Modify Attack Dice or
Modify Defense Dice step, unless otherwise stated.
- Although dice can be modified by multiple effects, each die cannot be
rerolled more than once.
- If an ability instructs a ship to spend a result, it cannot spend another
ship's results unless stated otherwise.
- Canceling dice is not a dice modification.
- Rolling additional dice or fewer dice is not a dice modification.
- If a die cannot be changed to a given result, nothing happens.
- For example, an attack die cannot be changed to an
because that result does not appear on that die.